Friday, May 19, 2006

Editorial: Jumbotron or Dumbotron?

Does a giant TV at a racetrack have true value or is it just a gimmick?

The old Memorial Stadium “Jumbotron” (I believe it's made by Mitsubishi and Jumbotron is a trademark for another brand) is going to be housed at Eagle Raceway. Some have said in the past its new home would be I-80 Speedway. But is it a necessary expense or just a trophy in a silly contest?

Regarding Eagle's case I guess I'm against it because if you're looking for live video, it's a freakin' short track...LOOK UP! It's right there in front of you. To do replays, you're going to need one or two people handling production, and you have to deal with maintenance and potential vandalism. If you're going to dedicate a person to the TV's operation, get someone to get results out in time for the press and the day of/after the race first, then move up.

I think there's better ways to get the fans pumped up for a lot cheaper. Not knowing what the jumbotron is going for, I'm guessing it's a lot more than a five-place alphanumeric scoreboard – something that would be truly useful. Let the track/sponsor/whoever put the money into THAT.

I'd rather see them spend the money on an updated scoreboard display that can be linked with the transponders and put it in turn three - and get rid of the shopping mall signs...uhhhh..."scoreboard" they have now. Use that for your cute messages and such. Replace it with a full color display if you want. Get the crowd pumped up by getting them involved. Start working the crowd between races with prizes and giveaways. Get them involved in the program - the 2-seat modified is a great example of this. Smoke and mirrors aren't enough anymore. They have to be part of the program through true interaction either by being directly involved or information.

That said, IF the jumbotron could do that for not much money, and you could show previous races, commercials and whatnot - if it's utilized to its fullest potential and brings real value to the program, then I'm all for it and I think it will make a tremendous addition.

But if it costs a ton to the track, and can’t do those things I mentioned above; if it's not contributing to the ENTIRE show, I think the money being spent by whomever would go further in different ways.

-Jason

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).