Friday, August 31, 2007

Sprint Driver Rodney Droud to Retire this Weekend

From RodneyDroud.com

The Final Race

(08/29) Folks, the time has finally come. After a great deal of prayer and soul-searching, it is time to call it a racing career- I intend to retire after this weekend’s Nebraska Cup at Eagle Raceway.

Ever since I won that first track championship with the Opp Racing Team, I had toyed with the idea of “hanging it up.” Why not go out a “winner” while the going was good? But the following year, Dad put together a potent team that just wouldn’t allow it. I ended up winning a second consecutive title and the thrill to drive kept gnawing at me. So I decided to race on and off in 2006 and figured that I was still good enough to do it again this year. But I want to be honest: it’s been a struggle. While Dad has put me (and Jr.) in a great car this year, I haven’t been nearly as “effective” as I hoped I could be. We had makeshift crews almost every night (except for my long-time crewman, Scott Deines) and that took its toll on me. While Jr. could handle it, I was incapable of separating the duties of a pitman and a driver and I think it showed in my performances. We were blessed to have some wonderful sponsors in ’07, but it wasn’t nearly enough, especially after the early season crash that destroyed one of Dad’s cars. While it wasn’t my fault, I wasn’t able to shake the fact that Dad was having to foot 99% of the bills and that really bothered me. The crash two weeks ago, which was a true “racin’ deal,” took the last bit of wind out of my sails.

I was honored when former owner, Jeff Bogue (57), paid me the ultimate compliment by asking me to drive his car again. My 2004 championship winning owner, Ed “Zippy” Opp, also threw me a huge helping of confidence when he told me afterwards that he thought I should keep racing because “you still have what it takes.” And even though he’s my dad, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t be straight with me and tell me like it is; he’s said time and time again that he does believe in me and knows I can do the job. I’m humbled by the fact that many have encouraged me and have faith in me, even to this day. I still think I can do it. In fact, I’m convinced that I have “the goods” to take the car to Victory Lane. But it’ll happen only one more time- this Sunday.

As I said earlier, I had really been praying about this and it’s my belief that God revealed what He wants me to do. I don’t have any idea what this means or what I’m supposed to do next, but as I put on my 2005 picture card, the Bible tells us in Jeremiah 29:11-12, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord, “plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”

Thank you so much for all the love and support you’ve given to Lori and I over the years! You have been great friends through it all…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).