Saturday, June 09, 2007

Fegers, Danley, and Schamp Conquer Opening Night of the Eagle Nationals

From Greg Soukup/Eagle Raceway:

Those who didn’t get out to Eagle Raceway, America’s Home Track and attend tonight’s first event in the Eagle Nationals definitely missed one of the greatest nights of racing in recent memory. A track that was slow at the start of the event turned lightning quick by the time the A Mains started.

The Back Row Challenge, featuring the Budweiser Championship 360 Sprints, the World Dirt Racing League Late Models and the Stereo West Auto Toys IMCA Sport Compacts was one to remember. Cool temperatures didn’t cool off the racing by so much as a degree. A total of 25 sprints, 26 Sport Compacts and 34 WDRL Late Models gave the crowd more than their money’s worth.

In the Stereo West Auto Toys Sport Compact A Feature there was a yellow flag on the first lap after the 44 of Jack Prall III, Jack Prall IV’s 45 and the 33 of Jeremy Noonan spun to a stop in the 2nd corner. On the restart the 63 of Mike Simpson took the lead with Jason Tadlock, Brian Haller and Derrick Dreamer in hot pursuit. On the 3rd lap, the B32 of Brian Haller spun bringing out the 2nd yellow flag of the evening. When racing resumed Jason Tadlock got around Simpson and the 2 of Dan Rhiley moved up into fourth. With just 6 laps left, Kyle Schamp had taken over the 2nd spot followed by Derrick Dreamer in third and Rich White’s 0 in fourth. White moved into the 3rd spot on the next lap, passing Rhiley. On the final lap Kyle Schamp took his #2Z around the high side in turn four and into the lead.

“I won this race for my parents tonight” Kyle said. “My dad had to go into the hospital today for an operation. I only wish my parents could have been here for this” he added. “They aren’t just my parents, they’re also my pit crew. Rusty, my dad is the Crew Chief and my mom is the ‘Tear-off lady’ he stated. “I wouldn’t be racing if it wasn’t for them being behind me and helping me” Kyle added.

Kyle’s sponsors are Durst Motorplex, Sardeson Racing, Ultrashield Race Product, Harris Decals, Ashland Tire & Service, Speedway Motors and RJS Racing Equipment”. This was Kyle’s first A Feature win after many runner-ups finishes. Earlier this year Kyle crossed the finish line first, but was put back 2 spots. He had raced for 1 season at I-80 before moving to Eagle Raceway for the last 2 years.

What do you do if you are a racer in the premier 410 sprint car series in the world and you have a night off? You come to Eagle Raceway and drive a Budweiser Championship Sprint car of course. Justin Henderson did just that this evening. After finishing first in his heat race, Henderson did what any true racer would do in hopes of pleasing the crowd; he took the “Back Row Challenge”, starting dead last in the A-Main.

“I just wouldn’t have felt right if I hadn’t done it” Justin stated. “I knew the fans deserved someone making that attempt, and I had to at least try,” he added. “I probably picked the wrong night to even think about such a thing, because the track was just too fast to be able to pull it off. The only way I could have managed it is if there were a bunch of cautions, but that didn’t happen,” he said. Starting from the 25th position, he did manage to move up to 11th by the end of the race. “I do want to let everyone know that I’m not going to spot the World of Outlaws guys anything tomorrow night,” he stated with a huge smile. Thanks to Justin for participating tonight, and good luck tomorrow night.

The Budweiser 360 Championship Sprint Car A Feature saw more than a few folks make tremendous moves forward. John Klabunde grabbed the early lead after starting on the front row. He was chased by Jason Danley in the 82, Jeff Griffis in the 3 and the 19J of Jay Jordan. Danley moved around Klabunde on the 4th lap, and Griffis also passed Klabunde on the next circuit. Griffis was forced to retire to the infield on the 15th lap however, moving Tige Jensen’s #71 to 2nd and the 91 of Brad Krutz to 3rd. Krutz and Jensen then exchanged 3rd place over the next few laps while the 96KX of Adam Gullion took fourth position, coming all the way from the 17th starting spot. Danley took the checkers after holding 1st place the remainder of the race.

Jason said “This one’s the crew’s win tonight. I got here late, and even missed hot laps. Once I got into the car, we didn’t have to change a thing the rest of the night”. This was Jason’s 2nd A Feature win this year, to go along with one 2nd place finish. “I guess this proves that anyone who says I can only win on a dry-slick track is all wrong” he added.

When the WDRL Late Models took center stage for the last race of the evening, 24 high-horsepower monsters gave one of the best performances in a long time in their first appearance ever at Eagle. Justin Fegers, in his 15F set quick time for the series, running only 7/10’s of a second off of the track record during qualifying and also garnered the QA1 Passing Points Award.

Eric Pember took the lead on the start, followed by Chris Simpson and Brian Harris. Justin Fegers had moved up to the 3rd position by the 2nd lap, and just 12 laps later he advanced to 2nd. The 16th lap saw the 85 of John Kantana take over third place and just 3 laps later Fegers moved into first. A yellow flag on lap 25 caused a 2-abreast restart behind Fegers. He held the lead with Pember and Kantana in hot pursuit. The 21H of Brian Harris had come back up to third with 33 laps in the books and 2 laps later he jumped into 2nd place. With 9 laps left Harris passed Fegers to take the lead. He extended his lead, but a slight bobble on the last circuit allowed Fegers to get around him on the high side of turn 4 for the win.

Justin was the WDRL Rookie of the Year 2 years ago, but didn’t follow the points chase last year, opting to run closer to home.

Justin said “Early on when I got the lead I was taking it kind of easy. Every time down the backstretch, I was checking myself out on the big screen and didn’t see anyone in the frame with me so I figured I could back off a little. Suddenly Brian got by me and I knew I had a fight on my hands. Honestly, if he hadn’t messed up on the last lap I could never have gotten him”. “This is the first time I ever won a race at the flag stand; I’ve lost plenty there but never won one until tonight. Actually, it was an accident when I jumped the cushion in turn 3. We call that the ‘Cowboy Line’, because all you can do is hang on and yell YEEHAW!!!” he added. “My home track is Cedar Lake, and it’s a lot like Eagle, so I was really comfortable here. I’m thankful I could get past Brian for the win” he finished.

Remember that tomorrow night is the 2nd night of the Eagle Nationals, featuring the World of Outlaws 410 Sprints along with the Valentino’s IMCA Hobby Stocks and Monster Energy Drink IMCA Modifieds. Front gates open at 4 with racing at 7 P.M. Tickets are only $35 for adults, $10 for youths 6-13 and $10 child 5 & under (one child free with one paid adult.) This is the Outlaw’s only appearance in Nebraska this year, and may be the last show at Eagle Raceway ever, so be sure to come out and support America’s Home Track.

June 8th, 2007 Race Results-

WDRL Late Models:
A Feature-
1) f15 Justin Fegers
2) 21h2 Brian Harris
3) 90x Eric Pember
4) 33 Al Purkey
5) 85 John Kaanta
6) 58 Dave Echrich
7) 50 Denny Eckrich
8) 14 Kyle Berck
9) 92 Delbert Smith
10) 71 Andrew McKey
11) 74 Jeremy Payne
12) 1m Rob Moss
13) u2 Scott Daily
14) 9t Tim Isenberg
15) 98 Ben Schaller
16) 33x Brian Kenkel
17) 0k Bill Koons
18) 32 Chris Simpson
19) 17 Jason Keeshan
20) 64 Greg Larson
21) L88 Larry Clawson
22) 10 Jr Coover
23) 28 Bill Leighton
24) 53 Joe Kosiski

Budweiser 360 Sprints Back Row Challenge:
A Feature-
1) 82 Jason Danley
2) 77 John Klabunde
3) 71 Tige Jensen
4) 96kx Adam Gullion
5) 91 Brad Krutz
6) 23 Terry Holliman
7) 19j Jay Jordan
8) 14g Gene Ackland
9) 45 Jeff Lowery
10) 2 Jordan Boston
11) 24a Justin Henderson
12) 32 Chris Roseland
13) 8b Bobby Becker
14) 13f Chad Fegley
15) 23r Tadd Holliman
16) 35 Trevor Grossenbacher
17) 17 Gage Dorr
18) 24b Frank Galusha
19) 21v Brent Vonk
20) 4 Mike Chadd
21) 3 Jeff Griffis
22) 9j Mark Schmidt
23) 6 Nick Bryan
24) 44 Doug Lovegrove
25) 21 Ryan Kitchen

Stereo West Auto toys IMCA Sport Compacts:
A Feature-
1) 2k Kyle Schamp
2) 99 Jason Tadlock
3) 0 Rich White
4) 2 Dan Rhiley
5) 26 Derek Dreamer
6) 44 Jack Prall III
7) 63 Mike Simpson
8) 20t Steve Shepard
9) 2m David White
10) 18 Maynard Kinnersley
11) 18r Ron Frank
12) 51 Amanda Rhiley
13) b32 Brian Haller
14) 24 Mike Rice
15) 62 Justin Busboom
16) 59 Jessica Tadlock
17) 14 Joey Danley
18) 21 Jake Sells
19) 33 Jeremy Noonan
20) 45 Jack Prall IV

B Feature-
1) 44 Jack Prall III
2) 20t Steve Shepard
3) 18r Ron Frank
4) 62 Justin Busboom
5) 24 Mike Rice
6) 77 Jason Miller
7) 35t Travis Schneider
8) 13j Jared Dterding
9) 00 Barry Kinnersley
10) 12 Danny Rhiley
11) 28 Richard Meyers III (DNS B)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).