Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Pace Lap - Thoughts from the weekend

It was good to get out Sunday night after a hard weekend of moving. It was also nice to go to a race and not freeze my buns off.

- I need to give props to the I-80 staff for clicking off the show on Sunday night. One thing I make a really big deal about is getting a show started on time. I think it's one of the most important things we can do for fans, new and old. They didn't mess around Sunday the show started awfully close to the posted time and they didn't mess with a long intermission or gaps between races.

-Got to see a lot of folks that I haven't seen since winter including historian Bob Mays. If you haven't been to his website, take a look: http://www.fastrack-publishing.com/

-I know some people ask how with all the rain could a track be dry like Saturday and Sunday. I have to give kudos for keeping a smooth track out there. Yeah, it was race along the bottom but there was some drama and it's better than the early springtime motocross tracks that usually result when they try to make them tacky.

- Passing points can be a bite when you get over 40 cars. Just ask Jack Dover - second in his heat, but with no bonus passing points you can be SOL. I heard the phrase "Another A feature" when the second B rolled out. Makes for an interesting show.

- I can remember seeing Giltner's Al Humphrey race when I was a little kid. I got into the Sprint Car scene and saw him rarely. It was nice to see the veteran take a convincing win in the GN Late Model Division.

- I think I have a pair of shoes older than B-Mod winner Brett Moffit! His driving certainly belied his age - very smooth and precise.

- It's good to hear Chad Humston and Jake Peters are doing well after horrific crashes Saturday night. You can check out the aftermath and photos from other crashes on Brad Brown's IBRACN.com

I've got photos from Sunday night's racing. When my internet gets going, I'll have them for you. Until then, take care.

Jason

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).