Tuesday, February 02, 2010

My favorite racing photos of 2009

I'm not going to do a Top Ten list or anything like that - or a formal countdown, just a series of what I liked and why I liked it. AND, it may not be a photo I've put online already....



A feature start May 30, 2009

It's the start of the Sprint A feature at Eagle Raceway on May 30, 2009. The track had been a dustbowl all night. I just wanted to try something different - something that would capture the environment, lend a 'historical' context to the night. It required a slow shutter speed for the ambient light. I added a flash to give each car a little definition, otherwise they would've been nothing but indiscriminate streaking blurs. The "VR" (vibration reduction) function of the lens was crucial, as I was shooting without a tripod. Click the small image for the larger pic


Hobbies at Butler County June 19, 2009


Blue and orange are complementary colors. That's enough motivation. But, despite an early day storm, the track did everything they could to get the show off. A nearby storm passed north of the track and left an orange sky in its wake. I underexposed the photo to saturate the sky more. Then, I cranked up the Norman 200b to give me the light I needed. I had a few nice shots from the place, despite one of the most miserable nights I've had shooting: muddy, humid, flash misbehaving. I was reminded why I keep spare shoes in the car. But it's all part of the game. Click the small image for the larger pic


0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).