Thursday, February 04, 2010

My favorite racing photos of 2009 pt. III

Here's two more. One a portrait, and yes...one a wreck.

Trevor Grossenbacher July 25, 2009

I want to do more of this. One thing I think is important, and I want to improve is making personal connections with the people you photograph. I'm not talking about anything deep, just at least knowing them and them knowing you. I wouldn't ever demand them to 'pose' as it were, especially before a race. If they look at me, great. If not, fine. Most of this I want to do before warm ups, when the mood is relaxed.  Before a race, I'll shoot - but from a distance or more discreetly. I also think it lends to the mood and it shows in the driver. I'll have an example of that later.




John Hampel crash, I-80 July 2, 2009

This was nasty. I shot it from a distance and this shot is heavily cropped and enlarged from a RAW file. There's just a sound - or actually - lack thereof, just before a crash. I turned my head to see this. This shot later appeared on the front of the Lincoln Journal-Star's sports page on an article about track insurance. The vertical crop they did in the paper was a lot better. Yes, the car is dramatic. But what makes this photo different is the three guys watching it happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).