Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My favorite racing photos of 2009 pt. II

Here's some more pics that were my favorite last year.Click on the pics for larger images.


Brian Cudly May 9, 2009

This is one of my favorite action photos from 2009. It's a classic case of "going where they ain't." Cudly tries to make the move down low as the rest take the high groove. With the exception that it's heavy, cumbersome, temperamental and 40 years old, the Norman 200b flash unit can do some neat things. What I like is not how it does at night - most on-camera flashes will work, it's what it does in the DAY. Your own portable sun. I like what it does because it shows the complex inner workings of the car, something you only see in short-track racing. A lot of daytime racing photos are all about some long, panning blur to show speed. I like this because it shows what short track racing is...sometimes you have to just root it out, jam on the brakes and make the move.

Eagle Rescue Crew July18, 2009


I like this because it shows how constantly vigilant this crew is. Normally, I'd have a beef with the shadows over the shaded eyes and would've used a flash to light under his hand, but I think the gesture just adds to the "vigilance" theme, plus I like a portrait lit with a sunset, even if it is cliche. A flash would've ruined that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).