Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Favorite Photos of 2009, Pt. IV

I'm not done yet. Here's a few more that I liked from 2009.

Tige Jensen, Eagle Raceway, July 25, 2009


This is my favorite of the "driver in car" shots this year. Compositionally speaking, I'd like to have the wing strut removed from the top, but I don't work like that. But, I liked Tige's concentrated look (it was before a heat race). Aesthetically what I liked is that it's essentially a blue/orange contrast photo.



Late Model, I-80 Speedway July 2, 2009

I like Black & White photography a lot. I don't do so much of it because it takes practice, and a different way of seeing. I see color hues - the trick to B&W is seeing in the tones - shades of gray. Two colors such as red and green may contrast in color, but just be a muddy mess in grayscale. Anyway, I like this photo because it has the human element, without anybody in it. There are car photos and people photos, and car and people. I like an implied subject, one that tells a story without having to be so obvious. I like this in B&W because it boils the subject down to what it is, not confused by the red and orange of the car and lights.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).