Monday, April 07, 2008

McCarl, Collins, Gropp and Macku top Icebreaker Finale

From Eagleraceway.com

Eagle, NE (April 6, 2008) - Although the weather was cold with a strong
West/Northwest wind, nothing could dampen the excitement of the second day
of the 2008 Icebreaker Challenge at Eagle Raceway; America's Home Track. And
even though the track dried quickly, the racing was fantastic all through
the afternoon and evening. And the crowd stayed warm by rooting on their
favorite drivers, and the racing kept their blood flowing freely.

In the IMCA Hobby Stock A Main, RJ Macku's 1R took the lead from the pole
position with Lee Kracht's 10K in second, the 32 of Trevor Kropp in third
and the 99 of Jesse Sobbing in fourth. On the third lap, Chris Mills spun
his #00c into the infield, giving fourth spot to Justin Wulf in the #86. On
lap #6 Kyle Bond drove his #0 around Wulf for the fourth position. Three
laps later, Kropp made contact with the 28B of Rick Bradley and retired from
the race. That put Wulf back into fourth, behind Macku, Kracht and Bond.
Despite many attempted passes, the top four positions remained the same
until the checkers flew.

Jordan Grabouski's #30 took the early lead in the IMCA Modified A, followed
by the 00C of Chris Mills and the 3 of Chris Alcorn. Mills spun on lap 7,
and was put to the rear of the field. At that time, the running order was
Grabouski, Alcorn, the V45 of Rik Gropp and the #13 of Doug Deterding. Late
in the race, Grabouski spun, and Alcorn dropped from the race shortly after.
That gave the lead to Gropp, with Deterding in second and the 95 of Dylan
Smith in third. Making a charge to the front after being sent to the rear,
Chris Mills came home in third spot behind Deterding and Gropp.

"We may not have been the best car out there, but we were as quick as any"
Gropp said. Gropp has been driving a modified since 1988, but hasn't brought
home a win since the 2005 season at Eagle Raceway. "I owe this win to my car
owner, Kevin Klein; Kevin also sponsors the car through Vermeer High Plains.
And just as much credit goes to my crew. Jeff Williams, Todd Sanford, Travis
Fox and 'DeVito' do a great job for me every week" he stated.

The Deery Brothers Summer Series IMCA Late Model feature was next on the
track. Mike Collins took the point at the drop of the green, with Todd
Cooney's #30 in second spot and the #21 of Corey Goldbeck in third. Collins
managed to hold off the competition in his #3, despite several charges by
Cooney and heavy lapped traffic all of the way around the speedway.

Collins, who calls Council Bluffs Iowa his home, said "I've only raced in 2
Deery Brothers races, and got my first win. I was really afraid of bad luck,
after winning the race at I-80 Speedway last night. But, I just held the
bottom of the track and kept a cool head." "I don't have the motor that a
lot of the drivers have. I'm using a $6500 motor that I just threw together
to go racing. But, I must be doing pretty good, because everyone asks how
I'm cheating. With the track like it was tonight, any more horsepower would
have hurt me a lot" he continued. "Actually, a lot of the credit goes to
Gary Winger. He does all of the setups on the car, and I think I called him
4 or 5 times tonight from the track. I told him what the car was doing, and
he told me what to change. In fact, he built both of my Rocket chassis
himself" Collins stated. Collins' sponsors include Charlie's Speed &
Machine, GW Performance, NC3 Properties and 5150 Race Car Trailers.

The evening's final event was the Budweiser 360 Championship Sprint A
Feature. On the initial start, Larry Pinegar III rolled the #44 in turn #4.
On the restart Terry McCarl took off from the pole position in the Mark
Burch 1M, with Gene Acklund's 14 in second spot, the 76 of Jay Russell and
Billy Alley's #22 in third and fourth. It took Alley only 3 laps to move
into third around Russell and five laps later he overtook Acklund for the
runner-up position. 2 laps later, Brian Brown drove his #21 sprinter around
Acklund to take third. McCarl was challenged several times by Alley, but
came home the victor; followed by Alley and Brown.

"I got lucky, drawing the #1 pill. But, that's happened before; drawing #1
and doing something to mess up and falling back. I kind of read Austin the
riot act for his mistake in the B Feature, and just hoped I didn't do the
same" McCarl stated. "Tonight I managed to do the right thing and take home
the victory" he continued. "Mark Burch gave me such great equipment, just
like he always does. His stuff is the top of the line, every time. So, I
took his advice. I stayed on the bottom and held on" Terry said. "To be
honest, I told Mark I wasn't going to race today when he called me this
morning at 10:30 this morning. I'd driven until 2:30 in the morning, getting
home from the World of Outlaws show in Pevely Missouri and was still asleep
when the phone rang. But, after I talked for awhile, I finally woke up
enough to say yes". "Eagle Raceway's a great track, and I love racing here;
especially for Mark" he finished.

Eagle Raceway's regular season opens in two weeks on April 19th. Featured in
the weekly show are the Championship 360 Sprints, the IMCA Modifieds, the
IMCA Hobby Stocks and the IMCA Sport Compacts. Gates open at 5 P.M., with
hot laps at 6:15 and racing at 7 o'clock. We look forward to seeing each and
every one of you at Eagle Raceway, America's Home Track.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).