Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dominguez to Step Down from Autograph Day

From Gary Dominguez

Once again, Midwest Racers Autograph Day was a resounding success thanks to
the tireless efforts of the Midwest Motorsports Promoting Committee. We had
44 racing machines and 9 Show cars on display. Approximately 2000 people
went through our displays at Uncle Ron's Wild West Saloon. Once again we
were second to none!
 
Since it's inception in 2001, Midwest Racers Autograph Day has signified the
kickoff of the local racing season. Religiously, it has been held on the
first Saturday of April. This date was selected because most tracks had not
begun their seasons, and it allowed ample time for racers to have their
machines completed. Most racing machines were ready to put on display for
the sake of their sponsors, and to attract new ones. It was also an
opportunity to network with themselves and the general public to attract new
race fans to their sport. The first event started with 15 cars, and grew to
as many as 110 cars by it's 4th year.  
 
They say imitation is the best form of flattery, so I truly feel flattered
that other factions have scheduled car shows, open houses, and races for the
same date as Autograph Day. This has affected our numbers somewhat, but we
still prevailed in all facets of our show including, but not limited to
attendance, car count, and media coverage. These factions were lacking one
thing: A committee that has a passion for racing, and it's preservation that
is also willing to spend one day a week being bored, and putting up with me
at our meetings. They are what made Autograph Day what it is; The best of
the best.
 
With all that being said, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce the
2008 Autograph Day has been my last. There are many factors I had to
consider for this decision. The main reason is that I think it is wise to
retire on the high side. I choose not to blame individuals as has been done
in the past at certain racetracks, but to truthfully say it has just become
too great a task to complete with the health, and personal challenges I have
recently encountered. . Although I am stepping down, Autograph Day will
continue on. I leave this rapidly growing event in the capable hands of our
former PR director, Mandi Oswald. Her young ideas and enthusiasm will ensure
the perpetuity of this event for years to come!
 
I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to the best bunch of volunteers a
guy can have:
 
Suzanne Wright
Rhonda, and Bernie Bryan
Bruce Steenson
Mandi Oswald
Joe Orth
Doug McCall
Chris Moses
Melissa Borman
Patti Herrod
Mike Mook
Greg and Linda Soukup
Brandon Anderson
Craig Janssen
Ryan Cairns
Cinda Frank
 
Without them, we would have no event, and they took great time from all of
their busy schedules to help with this project. I wish them well, and thank
them for their friendship over the years. Most of all, I would like to thank
our friends, fans and sponsors for their help and attendance in our event 
 
Thanks to all and God Bless,
 
Gary Dominguez- Founder

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).