Monday, January 11, 2010

Looking the part and showing some respect

We're nearing the end of awards banquet season and plenty of pictures of the old "grip-and-grin," with the promoters, owners, etc. smiling handing over the check, trophy, or both finding their ways around the internet.

One thing that got my attention though is how many people look like they just came off of the track.

Guys, your cleanest racing t-shirt is inappropriate attire for any awards banquet. I noticed a photo from one major sanctioning series, and the winner was holding a check for...over $50,000, while his cohorts were dressed in their 'racetrack best," some racing t-shirts, some with the MMA/Ed Hardy wannabe look, etc.

A pair of cheap dress pants cost $30. I'm not talking Armani here. Everyone at least needs that for any occasion when someone's getting married or buried. Eagle says no t-shirt and jeans. I like that. The IMCA banquet requires the champs to wear tuxedos. That might be a little much for a weekly program, but I like the sentiment. I'm not talking about "bar" dressed up, I'm talking about something befitting a banquet. Regardless of how much booze is served afterward, they are two different things.

The same thing applies to the victory lane photos. Yeah, it's hot and it's dirty, but when you come down after the race, at least look decent from the waist up. Wear the suit at least when you come back down. Zip it up. I know IMCA wants the suits (with their sponsor logos) on each photo. The track wouldn't mind it either.

This isn't about being "better than someone," or snobbery, it's about showing a little respect - that you could at least make a little effort to stand out from the pack.

Do this for you, do it for your sponsors and do it for the sport. Dirt track racing already has to fight its image when competing for money against the more "glamourous" stick and ball sports and other entertainment. Don't contribute to the stereotype.

Dollars have to come from outside the "family" now. They can't just go to the usual, auto related businesses. When a track owner is looking for sponsors, you can bet those people are looking at the websites, with the pictures. How would you spend your money if you think it's going to some greaseball? I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I can tell you when I had to hunt down sponsors and sit in on the meetings that was a regular topic of conversation.

Back when I was traveling in the 90's, the talk came up about getting sponsors. One of the top drivers on the circuit said, "I don't understand why a guy goes to a business, with hat in hand asking for money, and that hat is the greasy piece of s**t they wear at the track?"

Now, I'm never going to be penning fashion tips for GQ or Esquire but if anyone is handing me a $50,000 check I'm wearing a suit. At least I'm not going in t-shirt and jeans.

You can talk all you want about how people shouldn't be so shallow. But guess what, they are. Idealism and reality are often two very different things.

Again, it's not about being antiseptic - we all know it's a dirt track. It's about showing effort and respect. You'll benefit from it and the sport will too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).