Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Indiana Governor's Motorsports Initiative Will Only Increase "Culture of Noise"

Now, I'm trying to be positive on this site. Despite my sarcasm, in the end this is just too funny...

In contrast to Dick Berggren's brilliant piece on short track racing, I found this bit of unintentional comedy while surfing the forums at TJSlideways.com.

In a June 3, 2005 article on Collegenews.org, DePauw University Assistant Political Science Professor Ted Reuter tells us why motorsports are contributing to our decay.

Two things really made me laugh:

"In addition, motorsports encourage inappropriate driving behavior, such as speeding, tailgating, and road rage. A recent survey by the Public Agenda Foundation found that sixty percent of respondents often encounter reckless or aggressive drivers, and that eighty-eight percent often encounter people who are rude and disrespectful. A survey by the Steel Alliance found that 57 percent of Miami drivers admitted to four or more "aggressive" acts in the previous month (including honking their horns, making inappropriate gestures, or tailgating)."


Man, I haven't made a reach like that since I was a 4-year old trying to get into the cookie jar. I don't know what academic standards are like at DePauw, but I know that even a junior high teacher would give an "F" to a baseless claim like that.

And more insight:

"Motorsports are consistent with the Hoosier state's health problem. At the Bloomington Speedway, I observed numerous individuals sitting around eating junk food and smoking."


NO WAY! People eat junk food at entertainment venues? I was going to start my prunes and whole wheat diet at the Icebreaker Challenge. So much for that!

I wonder if DePauw's Blackstock Stadium serves tibouli and alfalfa slaw for the football games? Come to think of it, I haven't seen low-fat-Italian-vinaigrette-marinated tofu cubes next to the Milk Duds at the movie theater either.

Yikes.