Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Keep the show on the road

Continuing on with my previous post...

So, if I were a promoter and were looking to move the show along - what would I do?

Time Limits. I know people hate these, but I think we live in a day where attention spans are shorter, schedules are busier (even on the weekends) and short-track racing must also adapt. And while I’ve read people’s groans on the subject, I’ve heard applause from the stands when it’s done. I think it’s a necessary evil.

For starters: I would have a grand time clock. I’d look at it like this: take the number of cars, and multiply that times 1.5. That number is the number of minutes you expect to complete the show. So, if you have 120 cars, that’s 180 minutes = 3 hours. That’s from first green in the heats to last checkered in the A feature. I think that is plenty reasonable and the promoter should keep this time in mind throughout the night.

How would I break it down? Actually, I think there are several ways to do it without the clock - ways that are seen by the racers and fans alike.

Heat races
- After three yellow flags in a heat, cut the laps to 75% (rounding down) or green-white-checkered (whichever is greater). After the fourth, go next yellow = checkered. If there are five yellows in a heat - that's just stupid and everyone deserves to see that race end.
- Any time you have only the number of cars who transfer left running, regardless of yellows or time, checker it.
- You could make an exception for making the invert or passing points, but that option happens once. I’d say at that point, if you have say 4 cars running, and 3 make the invert, let them race until the next yellow or the end of the race.
- I'd also be willing to let the leftovers race half the remaining laps, with the next yellow=checkered.
- Keep a 1.5 minute per lap clock on the race. At that time, it's promoter's choice to call/shorten the race.

Trophy / cash dashes (if applies).
Well, first I don’t like them because a lot of teams don’t run them unless they have to. Otherwise, I’d apply the same rules as the heat, minus a yellow flag. Three yellows = done.

B features
Same as a heat, but if more than ten cars, allow one extra yellow flag.

A features
Yes, I do agree with time limits on an A. Granted, on a special show this should be last resort for the featured class. On a weekly show - I don’t see the problem. Here’s why: if you’re race is running so bad, and so messy - chances are they’re being done a favor by just packing it up and living to race another day. I’ve seen rough-track messes that would’ve been better served sending everyone home instead of another load of junk to the trailer - or worse, a driver to the hospital.

That said, I’d be pretty flexible with the time limit. One could go with yellow flags, but I’m willing to look at the clock.

Start with the number of laps, and multiply it this time by 1.75 (minutes). That’s what to shoot for. My feeling is to cut laps only when the time limit is reached - but that will include red flag time.

- If the time limit is hit, then at the next yellow or red - cut laps to 75%.
- The following yellow - run half the number of remaining laps or green-white-checkered (whichever is greater).
- Next yellow - green-white-checkered.
- Any yellow or red after that: done.

Obviously, there is room for some objective judgment, but I think it’s a good guideline. If you’re past your overall clock time then perhaps you cut laps before the features start. On the other hand, I could concede a little on what I said above and let the race finish out if you’re running on time for the night.

There are going to be nights when red flags will take a very long time, there will be nights when weather is in play, or perhaps there will be times when you want to try to race it out as much as possible such as on a final points night. But I think that if these guidelines and expectations are put out in advance, they will be easier to handle by the racers and fans alike. In fact, they could add to the drama and the storyline.

I’ll talk about some off-track ways to speed things up next.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, not bad suggestions. My only thing is the time limits including red flags. If you want to do that, stop the clock until the driver is out of the car.

On most red flags this wouldn't increase the time significantly and this is the only time I can think of that the amount of time taken shouldn't matter. Once the driver is out of the car (hopefully walking away) start the clock again.

If the tow crew can't get the wreck off quickly that's too bad, but don't rush the rescue guys because you are worried about time...Safety should come before a clock.

Just my $.02
hookit

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).