Sunday, September 11, 2011

All Good Things...

Must come to an end.

I'll be covering the Nebraska Cup for the Lincoln Journal Star.

But I've come to a decision that if Sunday's Nebraska Cup is not my final race this year, 2011 will be the last year I plan on visiting dirt tracks as an unpaid photographer/blogger on a regular basis.

It doesn't mean I don't have an interest in the sport because I do. I still love the automobile and motorsport - it doesn't mean I don't like doing the work. But if I'm going to work, I'd rather do it for a paycheck. This isn't a labor of love anymore.

One of the reasons I quit working on a weekly basis in racing after the 2006 season was because it wasn't fun anymore. I need to find some balance between the stresses of work and home, and what is supposed to be relaxation. This isn't relaxing. It's tedious.

Next season, I may be pushing hard on the money angle and start to blog for pay. Open up the site to ads, become more aggressive with marketing, and so on - IF I see the business opportunity.

I'm glad football season is here. I'm looking forward to hockey season, and the thought of visiting a Lincoln Stars game, wearing my new heavyweight Montreal Canadiens sweatshirt, sitting down with a beer and watching some hockey just sounds wonderful. I will enjoy spending Saturdays and Sundays watching football, and going out with my family.

When it comes to the show, I'm tired of the bitching, my own bitching included. I'm tired of the drama taking place in the photography arena and the chiseling and backbiting. I'm tired of complaining about the show - that contains parts that I will never like - and I'm tired of message board groaning.

Things aren't going back the way they were, there will never be enough money, etc. I realize people say this everywhere, but for some reason in the racing world, it's worse. It ran off people I grew up with around the track. It ran my dad off. The constant whining and pining just leave me asking "why do I come out here then?"

I've seen friends go away, I've seen families (including my own) break up over this. This is ridiculous. It's a hobby, executed by some very skilled people, but a hobby nonetheless.

I took a break for a reason. Before my wife and I were married, our pastor requested some counseling as part of standard practice. One of the suggestions he made was to stay apart for a while. The goal being to see if we just couldn't be without each other.

My wife and I did that. We spent a little more time doing our own thing, but we know that being together was and is still a good thing, twelve years and one child later.

But my break from Eagle and the racing world was different. I'd rather be in the stands drinking beer if I wasn't working, and I am going to be very selective with the camera tonight. It's possible I'll  spend most of the night in the press box.

I'm sure that people will say, well wait until spring and see what you think. Go to a race and just enjoy it, don't worry about photos or the blog. These are good suggestions, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe next Friday at I-80 I'll just be having some fun. Perhaps a trip to Beatrice for Octoberfest without worry of a deadline, upload, etc. would be good.

I'll give it a try. And then, I'll give it a rest. I appreciate all the great comments and feedback I've received for the past six seasons. I've met people and opened doors. It's been fun but I think it's also neared its end. I do plan on updating and such, but with what frequency I'm not sure.

Take care and thanks,
Jason






1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, thanks for supporting the Nebraska Cup. It's funny how things can change isn't it? Kids give you and ENTIRELY new perspective. It is important to remember that you can never get that time back once they grow up.

....I wish you all the best.

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).