Friday, July 23, 2010

The Pace Lap - July 23, 2010

The Pace Lap - July 23, 2010

I’m in a grumpy mood. Must be the heat - but probably because I haven’t been to a race in two weeks.

- I get tired of the “Roger Hadan is trying to kill sprints” argument. If so, he’s sure taking his time doing it. Think about this: the A feature payout alone is $5500 a night. Lets say for the past 4 1/2 seasons he’s operated the track, he runs 14 shows per season. That’s just regular, weekly events. That’s no B features, no specials, so this is a lowball estimate.

But in that period alone, he’s spent at least $346,000 in purse money to kill the sprint cars. So, instead of acting out his diabolical plan and just killing the class immediately, he’s going to bleed it out to the tune of what will be by the end of the year, just south of half a million dollars.

Talk about taking the long way around the tree!

Now, do I think there are things that could be improved? Absolutely. Do I think that there’s a possibility that if nothing changes he just stops the bleeding? Maybe.

But to think he was looking to kill the class from day one is just stupid.

- When I see teams driving 2-3 hours to race for a purse that’s less than what some local tracks have paid in decades, it tells me that purse isn’t the whole problem with current sprint car counts.

- “You’re a grumpy ass!” Yeah, I know.

- Push trucks are some of the least recognized, but most valuable part of a sprint show, and they can help out at non-sprint events, too. When you want to ask who isn’t paid enough, it’s those guys.

- Seems now that nearly every track is giving away bicycles. Nothing wrong with that. But credit Rhonda, Bernie and Nick Bryan. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And this week is the annual Kid’s night bike giveaway at Eagle.

- I’ll be heading to the “Rumble in the Bullring” at Eagle tonight featuring NCRA Late Models with IMCA Modifieds and GOTRA Vintage cars. Should be a good show on the racetrack. Recent NCRA Late Model shows have had good car counts and I like a super late model show out there every so often.

With Beatrice and Butler County taking the night off, and $1000 to win, the IMCA Modified field could be stellar (as if it isn’t already).

While I like looking at the GOTRA cars, as a support show they don’t do much for me. Do they really race? It’s an honest question - their website still has rules saying that anyone getting out front needs to slow down. It’s an exhibition event in my book and that’s different than a support class.

Again, not wanting to burst bubbles, and I HOPE to be wrong, but attendance wise, Late Model specials at Eagle haven’t been special. The next Late Model show that’s an attendance home run at Eagle will be the first - or at least the first in several decades, and I’ve been there for all of them for the past 20 years. I hope fans make it out - the racing on the track has the potential to be terrific. Doesn’t have to pack the place - a good weekend crowd @$20/head will be just fine. I’m not wishing doom - I want specials to at least pay off. Then we get to keep having them!

- Knock the car count all you want, but the fact is, the sprint division at Eagle has been the most competitive it’s been since 2005.

- I’ve got my take on getting the sprints back on track coming soon. Obviously I don’t think it’s all about raising purses.

Until then, enjoy your weekends. Believe it or not, I know I will.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).