Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wish list for 2007 (in no particular order, and by no means complete)

1. That promoters quit trying to compete with each other and start focusing on the entire sport as a whole. We're in a crunch for entertainment dollars and I can bet that $3/gallon gas will be visible again next summer.

2. I intend to go to more races outside my comfort zone since I'm getting a new car.
Anyone that can get me a deal on a NEW Honda CR-V, Mazda 5, Subaru Forester or Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute or something else...I'm all ears. BTW, my little '98 Saturn is for sale. It's a great work/school/second car.

3. I'm wanting to print my own pictures this coming year. I won't be using your generic Best Buy el-cheapo printer either. It will help me improve my pictures and get them, the way I want them printed and also get these done MUCH quicker than I've been in the past. To anyone who has suffered through my delays, I apologize. I've still got more pics to get out.

Next season I'm also going to 8x10's and larger only. The economics of 4x6's are such that I just can't make it worth my time. Despite what it costs per print, I also have to factor the fact that whether it be a 4x6 or 8x10, I still crop, sharpen, color manage , etc. Essentially with digital you can't drop off the film and have the machine do it for you. We're the photo lab now. I have to count the time involved. Yes, most photos are OK out of the camera - but I aim for better than that. I'm not looking to make money at this at all and my goal is to make fine pictures not get jollies off being able to get money. If it works for others, more power to them...but it seems like the ones who do it for a year get all gung-ho at the beginning of the year then fade away. I'm shooting for the website, but I can't afford to lose money just for the sake of an ego boost.

4. To get more info from race teams on what they've got going on. New sponsorships, cars, etc. Feel free to email me. I also want to do more interviews this year.

5. I'd love to see the World of Outlaws produce real marketing material to tracks. Since they continue rely on the promoter to market their product why not produce top-level product and a consistent brand identity? They have the ability to make high quality generic 15 & 30-second TV and radio spots, and announcers can just tag the date/time/ticket information at the end. They can supply complete print ad graphics that the newspaper just needs to add date/time/place info. With the Outdoor Channel's power they can produce some slick stuff.

Here's my feeling: the better promoters do, the more likely they will try to add shows or pay more sanctioning fees, instead of cutting shows like Eagle did. While were at it, why not have ASCS, WDRL, POWRi, USAC, etc. produce promo materials as well? In the current model, where the sanction bodies rely on sanction fees for income, and the promoter's money comes on tickets a promoters success translates directly to the sanctioning body's success.

6. I hope every race I go to starts within 5 minutes of the posted start time.

Yeah, good luck Jason.

Last year I went to two shows that started more than 30 minutes late, with no water truck breakdown, rain just before the show, long line at the pit gate etc. In other words, no excuse. If you did that at the movie theater, you'd have to call the cops because of the disturbance. While we're at it, no more 30+ minute intermissions either with the exception of a special event. If a track has its act together, 15-20 minutes is plenty of time to get beer/hot dogs/relieved, etc.

7. Also, I hope the back gate specials go away. Enough of the 4-5 hour, 6-class spinfests. Move things along. Promoters - don't be afraid to put your foot down when races run long. There's no reason A features should take an hour to run without red flags. Even then know when to call it a night. More fans than you think will appreciate it.

8. I want to get to Butler County Speedway again. The last time I was there was in May of 2003. I'd also like to go to Mid-Nebraska. That's where I spent my very early years.

9. I also need to get to Knoxville again. It's been far too long since I've been there. I won't admit how long.

That's it for now...

Do you realize we're only 2 months away from the start of racing around here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).