Monday, January 23, 2012

Eagle Raceway offered Sunday NASCAR Sanction

According to Eagle Raceway's Facebook page, they've been offered a Sunday NASCAR sanction - ostensibly to fill the void left by I-80's move to Friday nights. They're taking some fan feedback now on classes, and have made NO commitment to actually running on Sundays at this time.

My opinions on NASCAR short-track sanctioning are well known (and not favorable). And remember, Eagle dropped its Friday NASCAR show in the early 2000's due to lack of attendance and participation. Running two nights would put Eagle into a very unique place as very few tracks run two nights anymore. If you count the kart track - that would be three nights. Finding staff may be a trick - and without upping the staff pay (and expenses) definitely a labor of love as gas prices are expected to run well over $4/gallon this summer.

For the reasons I mentioned in my thoughts on I-80's move, I don't see why it would work any better at Eagle. It's not about the track, it's about the day. And save for the pre-Labor Day shootout, and the Nebraska Cup special - Sunday specials haven't been blockbusters for Eagle.

But, as the saying goes - it's not my money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).