Friday, May 06, 2011

The Pace Lap - May 6, 2011

Crow as an appetizer: Let's give kudos where due. The Eagle Raceway Sprint Car committee, whose efforts I will admit I took with a mildly skeptic, wait-and-see approach came through big time with a huge point fund addition to the Sprint class. Read about it here. Another example where the racing community itself is stepping up to help the program.

Help those who help themselves: The Katz Farms of Jansen, NE helped out the Beatrice Speedway crew by donating the much-needed services of a road grader. Rain and problems working the track due to lack of equipment postponed the opener. They're set to go tonight.

Expecting the unexpected: Nobody expected 180 cars at Eagle's season opener - or did they? Word is Roger Hadan was prepping for 200. They extended the fenced in area for the pits, and plans are to move the pit shack out closer to the gate. Hopefully they put in another A/C unit! :-) I remember working in that shack before the grandstands on the east side shaded the area. 

In the end, I don't expect that kind of car count to last long. Other tracks begin to run, drivers start worrying about point races. But still - the question remains: How do you get 180 here and in the 60's-70's elsewhere?

Return of the prodigal sons? Billy Alley, Jack Dover and Ryan Roberts skipped their regular Knoxville gigs to run Eagle's Saturday show. How long do they stay? Will the increased purse (contingent on a 25+ car count), draw for lineups and passing points and the point fund keep them around? Time will tell.

What price third place? Here's why I'm not a fan of passing points for a weekly show - the aftermath of a checkered-flag battle for third (and those important passing points). I'll concede that a weekly draw for heat race starting position could bring in the "occasionals" to bolster car count and make a trip to Eagle more appealing for a class that needs to extend its reach a bit farther outside its home. I still am not sold on passing points for heats, but I'll give it some time. It was the first night. 

Nebraska's National Champions: Is Jordan Grabouski is looking to add his name to a list of SE Nebraska drivers chasing the IMCA National Title? Grabouski is pursuing an aggressive race schedule and made trips to Albion and Mayetta, KS (skipping Eagle) and having success in the process.

One finger pointing at me, three point at you: If you have a product/vendor/service that continues to not work, and you continue to blame them for always having problems but don't change what you do it's no longer their fault. It's yours. I'll leave it at that.  

Opening night bugs: 180 cars will tax most tracks. Eagle had its usual share of slowdowns, but if 200 cars were expected, why can't the pit gate open a little earlier? And, running out of food in the pits before the end of the heats - that's something a track 6 years in should've been able to prepare for. There are a lot of new faces working there. Can't fault that. But the level of service expected is high. Hopefully, it's a one-off. 

Not all of it is on the track: why allow anyone to buy an IMCA license at the sign-in window? Make 'em wait or sign in somewhere else. They've had MONTHS to do this.  

And what about 6:30 don't these people understand? I respect Roger for not just pulling the trigger (not to mention the safety issues), but it's not like the races got moved up all of a sudden. They make clocks without hands now. 


Movin' on up! (movin' on up...): Nice to see Hobby Stock ace Kevin Anderson in a SportMod this year (given the cost of some Hobby Stocks, maybe it was more of a lateral move). Same goes with Compact driver Mary Lenz. Those are the two that stand out, let me know if there are more. I like this. 


Turnin' the corner on SportMods? : Let's face it, I used to be very critical of the SportMod division. I still believe that it is a response to the failure of IMCA to control costs. BUT, what I like is that the level of competition and skill is improving, the races are good (and I like the spoilers), PLUS it seems to be the gateway for people moving up to a real...OK, a purpose built race car. If that trend continues, then more power to the class.

Taking the show on the road: I plan on being at Eagle again Saturday night. However, I may...may start on Friday nights at "Mini E" or head down to Beatrice for their weekly shows. Some of this is still up in the air. If you have a take on it, let me know.  

-Jason

1 comments:

Greg Soukup said...

The only comment I can make is to agree with the buying your IMCA License at the track. What? Did you just wake up Saturday afternoon and say "Hey, I'm gonna run an IMCA class this year!!"???

Hopefully, it'll be mostly over this week and we can skip going through all of that again.

I also have to concur with the A/C unit in the pit shack. It does get more than a little warm in there in the summer time, especially with all of the windows open. It would require a pretty large unit to keep it even somewhat cool in there.

Sorry to lose Jordan to other tracks, but the racing will be just as good.

I was happy to see Kevin Anderson move up also; now I can give him a hard time in a whole new class!!!

I will admit that I voted "Make them move up" in your latest poll. If you stagnate, you lose. But, I also understand the monetary reasons for staying in a class.

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).