Friday, August 13, 2010

The Pace Lap - August 13, 2010

- Last Saturday Eagle Raceway held its second Fan Appreciation night with a near-capacity crowd braving the heat. How are they pulling this off when other tracks may see modest bumps in crowd, or put in what would be at best an average crowd at Eagle?

Yes, being located next to two significant population centers helps, but I believe it’s the free tickets given by the drivers and such that is the biggest difference. Not just because it’s free, it’s more than that - it’s because advocates of the track (drivers) are giving GIFTS to fans, essentially providing endorsement and obligation to fulfill the gift (going to the track).

I’ll write more on this, but it’s the personal connection that the drivers are making to the fans that is putting this ahead of just opening the gates and shouting “free” and hoping people come to you. We are moving into a cultural phase where endorsement from peers is the most important marketing tool - displacing the “voice of authority” that we grew up with. I've got the studies to back this up.

- Follow up: The Lincoln Journal Star did an article on the BCM closing today with some more detail. I realize it was a driver’s estimate, but the “800-1000” people per night is a bit...generous...based on the photos I see with the crowd in the background. I’m not trying to grind it in here, I’m just saying that perceptions of the crowd are often very far off from reality.

- Follow up to the follow up: it appears that the Todds are at least going to try to salvage some of the season, but need sponsor commitments to do so. It would be a nice change if a track had to close, at least it could have a proper farewell. 

- I've heard this statement more than a few times in the past few days: "have we just got too many tracks?"

- I’ll be at Eagle Saturday, filling in for Joe Orth who’s at Knoxville this weekend along with most of the sprint car contingent. Wish I could have gone to Knoxville, but this is my peak time at work and we’re dealing with a huge project on top of that. What pays the bills comes first.

- To wit: I’m surprised at the number of people I hear about or talk to with financial issues who are still racing. Seriously. I’m not going to make a value judgement about anyone - we all have our issues, but for what’s a hobby for 99 44/100% of the people out there...I guess I just don’t understand. If that doesn’t make me a “real” race fan, then I gladly accept that distinction.

- From the "reading way too much into this" department: Got a text message this afternoon, with Eagle offering buy one, get one 1/2 off on adult tickets Saturday. One of the common cries from the sprint elitists (as they're called by everyone else) is "without sprints, no crowd!" So could the fact Eagle is running a gate special on the night sprints aren't running be an indirect admission of that?

Of course not - that alone isn't proof. Factor in weather, Lincoln's Ribfest, the fact that crowds tend to die off in August, etc. It's specious reasoning, just like saying that since I hang garlic around my house, I've never been attacked by a vampire. Well yeah...but that assumes a lot, such as vampires existing in the first place (sorry Twilight weirdos fans). At best it's a supporting argument, but not proof of the fact.

But, let the record show I do believe sprints drive a significant portion of the crowd.

- The T N’T or is it T’N T or T.N.T. (I’m dyn-a-mite*) series makes its annual appearance at I-80 Monday night. Either way, it’s one of the best shows out there and the only chance to see the best wingless sprints in the country running in Nebraska. Add super late models and probably the most competitive group of IMCA Modifieds in the country to the mix and you’ve got a first-class event.

- "If I won the lottery I would buy ____(track) and ____." It's always interesting. I'll share my ideas on that later.

- With BCM's future in doubt, I wonder if Eagle will pick up the Sept. 11 ASCS show? Make the Nebraska Cup a two-day event, perhaps? I'd like to see it happen.




*I was making an AC/DC reference there. By the way, I have a theory that every AC/DC song is really just a mashed-up version of Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog." Seriously - go listen. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).