Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This site's future

After four seasons worth of "general" racing coverage, I've decided that it's time for a change.

You may have noticed I've quit posting results. Some tracks post nothing for days and even with transponders at some places, information is incorrect or slow coming. Sometimes drivers names are spelled wrong, sponsors names are incorrect.... No, it's not everyone in every case, but I would say it happens often enough to become an annoyance. Maybe I'm too picky.

I've lamented before about all the technological advancements such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace (if anyone's there), and the near ubiquity of text messaging being underutilized, and the halfway attempts are essentially worse than not doing it at all. Again, not everyone at every time.

The problem is, the downturns in the economy have forced many tracks to do more with less and one thing I've seen a LOT less of is advertising and press releases, despite all these new tools. Frankly, I don't have the desire to hunt the basics like results and upcoming event down and edit it like I used to, and to be honest - it wasn't what people were reading on the site anyway.

So, I'm going to focus the new site on two things: editorials and photos. There will be regular updates, news from tracks, and race recaps - but different in that they'll be from my point of view.

Writing my own pieces are probably the part I do best. So, the updates will be frequent, in many cases shorter, covering a variety of subjects, from interviews to thoughts on the food at the concession stand. Given my racing background I think the best way to start is with what I have a genuine interest in: dirt racing at the top level specifically sprints, modifieds and late models. Those classes will be the focus of this site in 2010, and races featuring those classes will dictate my schedule next year.

One of the other things I'm wanting to do is take my photography to the next level. After some feedback from professional sports photographers, one comment is that I need to focus more on the human element. To do that I need to specialize a bit...I also need to spend time off the track, and thus missing some classes. Speaking of photography, I need to improve order fulfillment dramatically. But I also believe in editing images and not dumping the entire memory card online. To do that I need to spend more time working on images and less on editing press releases and such. Therefore it will be my best work, fully edited and available to order online in 2010. Click and buy, from the printer straight to you - ASAP. And possibly, I'll include gift items in that as well.

So does that mean "Heartland Race NEWS" isn't so much that - if it only covers certain classes? Maybe, but a name change is likely anyway. In fact I've already purchased the domain name I plan to relaunch under. I'll announce it soon, continue posting here until it's ready and cross post between the two sites shortly after the release.

It's been an enjoyable four seasons and I think this new approach will keep me going for several more.

Jason

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).