Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2010 Thoughts, Pt. IV

This should be the last part of what's become a rather lengthy series.

Of course, Eagle's schedule generated the most firestorm on the message boards. And, on cue, the inevitable class warfare began...fueled by a single - and in my opinion, legitimate - issue raised by a sprint car driver. Other comments, reinforcing that statement followed, with the expected rebuttal of "without (fill in the non-sprint class), you'd have no sprint cars, etc. etc., etc."

Well, if I were to tell you what I've heard, from those with close connection, about sprint cars and their importance at Eagle, egos will make sure that the pro-sprints wouldn't believe me and the anti-sprint (or pro-fenders, if that's what makes you happy) wouldn't believe what they heard. Let's just say, the sprint class is important at Eagle and Eagle is important to the sprints.

But if it doesn't sustain itself it won't matter one way or the other (that's my take). Each class is important, but in some cases for very different reasons.

If you can get past the class warfare outer shell, the real issue is the length of program. I've said it subtly before, but I'll be blatant now. I don't like the addition of a fifth class.

In the Eagle thread, the Rest of the Dirt's Ron Meyer coined the term "hard sit," being that no matter when you start there's going to be a lot of butt time before the show's over. IF the 10:30 goal is met, a 6:30 start still means 4 hours in the seat...frankly that's too much show. Die hards will tell you they love it - but that's only if they like what's out there. I've said it before, I don't like five classes. I don't like four.

But, it's not my track and I don't pay the bills.

Moving on...

- When the unsubstantiated argument comes out on the message board, you know the thread no longer will produce anything useful. You know what I mean, opinion expressed as fact. The aforementioned class warfare debate is a good example. "Most of the fans are there to see (fill in your favorite)" is a great one. Got numbers? Back it up. I get sick of that.

- Anyone who tells you sprint racing is dying needs to look at the 2010 ASCS Midwest Schedule. At the time, I counted 21(!) shows outside of the 360 Nationals at Knoxville. That's more than a season's worth of weekly racing at most tracks. Rumors of the demise are greatly exaggerated.

- Anyone else notice scarcely a mention of the fact the Outlaws aren't on Eagle's schedule?

I'll have a 2010 Wish List, and some changes I'm making in 2010 as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).