Friday, November 09, 2007

Scam Alert

Saw this on the dirtdrivers.com message board. Beatrice Factory Stock driver Ernie Reiss gave his account of the incident. Ernie works in Law Enforcement.

"Good morning, everyone. Those of you that know me, know what I do for a living.

"Jerry Thomas" contacted me by email when I had my factory stock on DD for sale. I knew it was a scam as soon as I read his first email. The first thing you look for is grammar and sentence structure. I played him along, knowing it was a scam.

I advertised the car for $750 and he told me he would send me more money than that (of course, EVERYBODY does that ) I got an envelope from UPS containing three money orders, each in the amount of $890. The envelope had a return address in Mississippi. However, when I went to the UPS website and ran the tracking number, it originated in Washington State.

I then called the company that issued the money orders. Keep in mind, I looked these money orders over carefully and they looked genuine. I could not see any evidence of alterations. I gave the company the check numbers and found that one had been cancelled and never issued, one had been cashed in April for $90 and one cashed a week later for $235.

In the meantime, I get an email from the guy wanting his money as soon as possible. I told him I would send the money as soon as the checks cleared the bank. He periodically sent me emails and I wanted his money and I kept telling him to wait.

In the meantime, I think we've located either him or his friends overseas. If he's still doing his scams - which he MUST be - and he's reading this: Jerry, or whatever your name is, your days of scamming people are nearly at an end. You can run but you can't hide. We know where you live and some day soon we will meet. However, it would be for tea and crumpets. I will be presenting you with your own set of special bracelets and you will be getting your own little special room. "

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).