Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Looking back at this weekend (and maybe a few weekends back)

Went to the opening night of the Cornhusker Classic at I-80 Friday, primarily for the ASCS Midwest Region finale. Couple of thoughts:

- The racing in the sprint division was excellent, especially the three way battle for the A feature and the climactic end, with Billy Alley winning one for his close friend, Jesse Hockett and himself-after a mechanical failure took away the season opener in April. It was a true storybook ending.

- There was some pretty good racing in the heats as well, but only one class Friday ran a complete show.

- Not sure why practice sessions were run. Schedule practice on a separate night like Beatrice does.

- Sometimes the lack of communication regarding order of events and getting the cars pitted outside the track in sync with the infield bunch made a riot look better organized. Something to work on - wasn’t for lack of trying.

- The fact they got in the races at all was pretty amazing given the rain received. The track turned out just fine. A little rutty in three, but really one couldn’t ask for a much better surface. Fast and two-grooved, the way it should’ve been.

- I’ve heard that plans are in place for the 2011 Nebraska Cup and a possibility is a three-day point fund with Eagle and JMS in the mix. I remember back in the day when Eagle, Knoxville and Midwest Speedway ran a three-day event, with the overall point getter being crowned champ. I wouldn’t mind seeing the same thing. I’m not sure I would shift importance to the weekend point champ over the Cup race winner, but I like the idea.

- I was impressed by the efforts of the Nebraska Cup committee again. They’ve done a good job of wrangling up prizes and pub for the show. As Bo Pelini would say, the show “isn’t there yet,” (in terms of crowd, which was decent, but could be bigger) but it’s on a good trend up. The car quality is fine. When other classes ask where their big show is or why they weren’t featured, maybe they need to get a (insert class here) committee going. It’s easy to talk.

- The season may be over for me - I might go to the Beatrice Octoberfest if the weather holds up. But otherwise, it was an interesting 2010. It’s also time to rest and enjoy the offseason.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The rules:

1. No ad hominem attacks - AKA: don't "diss" anyone personally.
2. Keep it on topic.
3. I'm open to any well-thought comment just play nice.
4. PG-rated please.
5. By posting, you agree to indemnify me, the blog owner and hold harmless for any liability caused by your comments. (I'm covering myself here).